It has been over two years since Moms Across America’s last meeting with the EPA Pesticide Review Board regarding glyphosate in 2019 and seven years since our testing showed glyphosate in our tap water, children's urine, breastmilk, food, wine, beer, and orange juice samples. Although moving at a painstakingly slow, red tape snail’s pace, we were glad to see the EPA's review on glyphosate and endangered species a year ago. Common sense and science suggest that finding that 93% of endangered species and 97% of their critical habitats are harmed by exposure to glyphosate herbicides is reason enough to revoke glyphosate’s license immediately, but no.
We demand action now. Click HERE to tell the EPA to do their job!Read more
If you have heard it from us once, you have heard it a thousand times. But it bears repeating because the EPA has still not done its job and banned glyphosate.
The science to support that ban keeps on coming.
In the past few months, more and more data is accumulating, showing that glyphosate herbicides, otherwise known as Roundup or Ranger Pro and 700+ other brands, must be removed from the shelves, banned from aerial spraying, and restricted from agriculture use immediately. Here are five more reasons why.Read more
A new study released abril 6, 2021, in the Journal of Applied Ecology reveals that Roundup, the most widely used herbicide in the world, and the focus of recent lawsuits regarding non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, is not just a weedkiller but a bee killer as well.
This study is monumental because the decline of bee populations has been drastically declining since Roundup was introduced to agriculture, landscaping, and backyard gardening in the late 1970s. In the US, the number of honey-bee colonies dropped from 6 million in 1947 to just 2.5 million in 2014. In 2015, Monsanto made nearly $4.76 billion in sales and $1.9 billion in gross profits from herbicide products, mostly Roundup.Read more
The EPA has admitted that glyphosate herbicides (also known as Roundup or Ranger Pro by Monsanto/Bayer) harm 93% of endangered species. This is an excellent reason for the EPA to deny the license of glyphosate. However, they claim that only landscaping use (20 million pounds of glyphosate a year) is the only method of use that is causing harm, NOT agriculture use ( 280 million pounds). This is outrageous! We have a huge problem with this- do you?
Did you know that how our democracy is designed such that when you, the citizen, have a grievance with a government policy, it is your elected official’s job to address it with the government? They work for you. You elect them to be your megaphone to the lawmakers, your liaison to the federal regulatory agencies.
Do you have a grievance with the most widely used herbicide in the world, glyphosate herbicides such as Roundup, being sprayed on our food?
Do you have a grievance with this known carcinogen, endocrine disruptor, and neurotoxin that causes liver disease and multiple generations of reproductive harm being found in our breastmilk, baby food, tap water, wine, beer, orange juice, and thousands of foods?
Do you have a grievance with this herbicide damaging gut bacteria, weakening our immune systems, leaving us more vulnerable to severe COVID symptoms and prolonged shutdowns?Read more
The EPA's finding that glyphosate exposure does not cause any health risks is a blatant act of reckless endangerment to public health. Americans should be outraged, not just because our EPA is not protecting us, but because our government is allowing the collapse of democracy by pandering to corporate greed.
- The EPA assessed risks to humans from exposure to glyphosate from all registered uses and all routes of exposure and did not identify any risks of concern, including cancer.
- The EPA did not review any cumulative health impacts of glyphosate.
- The EPA did reduce the list of crop types with allowable levels of glyphosate residues from 160 to 15, however the crops removed likely did not utilize glyphosate, and the list is not complete.
- The EPA still has not responded to the EWG et al petition about discontinuing the use of glyphosate on oats and wheat as a desiccant or made a determination on residue levels.
- The EPA will do further assessments on the impact of glyphosate on bees and endangered species due to the Center for Biological Diversity mitigation.
- The EPA is limiting the amount of glyphosate used per acre, by category of use, in order to prevent further weed resistance.
- The EPA is requiring additional labeling for aquatic use which warns of fish kill from the lack of oxygen from dead water vegetation (note: not from glyphosate).
- A final decision will be made after a decision about the desiccation of wheat and oats, endangered species review, and an assessment of endocrine disruption. Decisions could be in 2020 for some and agosto 2021 for others.
Six months ago today, junio 1, a few days after our meeting with the EPA, I requested per my right as a US citizen, by way of the Freedom of Information Act, to receive copies of all of the documents submitted to the EPA regarding glyphosate. Never in my life did I imagine I would be asking for potentially thousands of pages of scientific studies about a toxic chemical. I loved science when I was in sixth grade, even imagined being one someday. But I did not think I was good at math, all the rote learning without understanding was more condescending than the looks my math teacher gave me, so I dismissed the possibility of being a scientist and headed down a more artistic path as a designer.
I have a creative background, but I could not make up what I am about to share with you.
It is incredible that any scientist or non scientist could look at this information think glyphosate safe.
I received 9 files, ranging from 67-293 pages. Most were the actual studies, two were assessments of other studies. I do not believe I received all of the studies submitted to the EPA, and will be asking for the full set of documents. What I did receive however, in my opinion, is reason enough not to re register glyphosate.
Watch a video version of this blog here and share it with friends.
The first study I open, is a 96 hour study on oysters..and it concludes that although in 4 days there were no oyster deaths, the majority of the oysters were "closed and not feeding". That is equivalent to a human in a coma! Are you kidding me? This is supposed to prove glyphosate is safe for sea life?
And what happened after 4 days? For how long did the oysters stay "closed and not feeding" and what happened to them then?
I am reading this, hollering to my husband about oysters and the dear man is putting up with me. He even admits that he is glad I am the kind of person that cares about this because someone has to.
The next study, a 96 hour study on Mysid shrimp, shows that after 4 days, the "level of no-morbidity was .51 a.e.mg/L ( 1.71 mg/L MON 2139 mg/L". The level of glyphosate in our corn, husk removed is 3.5 ppm. .51 mg/L and 1.71 mg/L is equal to .51 and 1.71 ppm. And it was the level just above this killed the shrimp after 4 days. 100% of the shrimp died at levels of 3.9ppm.
Granted we are not as small as a shrimp, but the amount of glyphosate must be equivalent and significant in comparison. Consider that 80% of GMOs which make up 90% of our food crops and in 85% of our food are sprayed with glyphosate. In addition, many non-organic crops are also sprayed with glyphosate as a drying agent pre-harvest. Furthermore a burn down application of glyphosate is applied before planting, so the amount of glyphosate we potentially consume from the 160 foods withallowable glyphosate levels is from .2 - 400 ppm. This is very significant.
The average life span of a Mysid shrimp is 365 days. 4 days is 1% of it's life. How is this a study which is scientifically sound for weighing the safety of glyphosate? It's not! it's preposperous! This test duration is equivalent to a human who lives to 78 years old being exposed to glyphosate for 284 days...less than a year. The reality is glyphosate has been in our food supply for nearly 20 years....7300 days...already.
White shrimp in comparison to the size of a human fetus (Human fetus is about half the size)
Another 96 hour White shrimp study showed "the no-morbidity after 4 days was 5.2 mg/L ( 17 mg/L of MON 2139)". Higher than that and they died. The levels of glyphosate on dried sugar beet pulp, the main source of sugar in millons of American products, is 25ppm. The average American consumes 156 pounds of sugar per year. How much glyphosate is that? What is it doing to us? A white shrimp is larger than a 6 week old human fetus. What coudl glyphosate be doing to our fetuses? Why has our infertility and miscarriage rate skyrocketed to 30% just like the pigs in Denmark who ate feed sprayed with glyphosate and had their levels of miscarriage jump to 30%?
FISH SHARE 85% of the same DNA as Humans
The 96 hour minnow study showed the level of no-mortality at 2.1 a.e mg to 6.8 mg MON 2139/L. Higher than that and fish died in 4 days.We have 5 ppm allowed on our potatoes and 7 ppm of glyphosate allowed on tea, items that we eat/drink in large quantities.
The 2 month (dosing period) study of canaries showed mortality at 432mg/L and with birds dying within 2 hours of dosing at 3300 ppm. Our animal feed grains are allowed by the EPA to have levels of 400 ppm and are consistently fed this amount, it is not just a one or two time dose during 4 days of their life.
The mouse study was a mere 28 days... not even a month...and although they claimed no changes to them mice...this duration is supposed to be valid as a scientific study for the safety of a toxic chemical sprayed on our food to consume? If there they were longer studies done, they did not send them to me as they are required to by law.
So the next time a GMO scientist tells you they have "hundreds of studies" showing the safety of GMOs and Glyphosate, ask them, how long are those studies for? What were the results? If the animals did not DIE, did they exhibit other symptoms (like not eating) that would lead to their death shortly after the duration of the study?
These studies, even in their small scope and short duration show that glyphosate should not be re registered. It's not sound science to see these as showing safety by any scope of the imagination and in addition this mother, for one, would prefer to be better safe than sorry than to feed my kid a chemical that has most oysters "closed and not feeding" after 4 days. It's hard enough to feed my kids, Thank you very much. I chose organic.
Please tell the EPA what you think they should decide regarding the review of glyphosate NOW. They are reading and assessing these studies now and will make a decision by Christmas. Contact:
Chief, Risk Management and Implementation Branch I
Pesticide Re-evaluation Division
US EPA (Mail Code 7508P)
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460
P.S. I have been informed that the studies are confidential and I cannot share the actual documents. You can request any kind of information you want through the Freedom of Information Act.
Moms Across America Meeting with the EPA to Recall Roundup and STOP Toxic Chemical Cocktails on our Food
Presented to the EPA mayo 27, 2014 on Rachel Carson's Birthday, author of "Silent Spring"
When a chemical does not do what the manufacturer's says it will do, for instance, it is discovered it kills birds, the EPA will, instead of recalling it, assess whether the "benefit outweighs the cost." And they "often finds that it does." Meaning, there is an acceptable level of harm and death. We wonder what is the acceptable level of harm and death of our children in correlation with the use of Glyphosate?
How much Collateral Damage must we Mother's be expected to withstand?
Do the corporations profits outweigh the cost?
Collateral Damage: Statistics of the Proposed Impact of Pesticides on Our Food by Moms Across America
Studies show glyphosate destroys gut bacteria. Illnesses today associated with the gut bacteria being damaged:
- 150 children die each year from peanut/food allergies =3000.Food allergies have increased 400% =6.7 million since GMOs and pesticides have been allowed on our food. Intolerances=24.7 million. Study from the Journal of Pediatrics shows colitis has tripled in just 10 years.
- Hospital records show a 79% increase in diagnosis of children with Crohn’s disease in the past 10 years since the majority of pesticides have been introduced.- Stephanie Seneff MIT scientist
- Damaged gut means inability to produce tryptophan which equals and inability to produce serotonin, which regulates insulin. Diabetes =25.8 million people in 2011 alone.
- It also means without seratonin and melatonin, insomnia, depression, mental illness and acts of violence ensue. America now has a school shooting every other day, hurting hundreds and traumatizing millions.
Studies show glyphosate is an endocrine disruptor .
5.The United States is #1 for infant death on day one in the industrialized world. 50% more children die in America on their fist day of life than all of the industrialized world combined. – Seneff. This correlates with Pig Farmer's finding of miscarriages, birth defects and infant loss in their GMO/Glyphosate fed sows who had a 30% loss.
6.The USA has a 30% failure to conceive rate in young couples, the highest in recorded history. – The Sierra Club
= 2 million babies lost each year
Studies show a gut brain connection. Studies also show that glyphosate breaks down the blood brain barrier, allowing toxins into the brain. This may very well account for why doctors did not see a “flood of children with autism,” despite mercury being in vaccines since 1929, until the late 1990’s when GMOs and glyphosate were allowed into our food.
7. Twenty years from now, 1 out of 2 of our children will be diagnosed with Autism if we continue at the current rate.- Seneff = 27.1 million ( cost today =avg 60K p/family/yr = 1.6 trillion dollars)
Regarding children with autism: using US Population stats:
73.7 million children 2012 = 837,500 children with autism ( 1 out of 88 2 years ago)
74. 3 millon USA children 2014 =1,092,647 children with autism ( 1 out of 68 today)
=increase of 255,146, in two years, = 127,573 children per year = 349 children diagnosed per day = 43 children per doctor’s office hour =every 1.2 minutes a child is diagnosed with Autism in America (during doctor's business hours.)
349 children per day = $20 million,940 thousand in additional cost to the American families PER DAY. This equals a 764.3 million per year in cost to American families financially.
This does not include the devastation on the fabric of our society, the cost to public schools ( 50% of federal budget is spent on Special Ed), the impact on divorce due to stress, and the increased loss of IQ and talent which could be contributing to the success of America.
8.Since GMOs/Glyphosate was put in our food our collective IQ has dropped 7 points resulting in, instead of 6 million mentally damaged, we now have 9 million. And million fewer gifted and talented.
We would say the matter is urgent. These are the cost for autism alone.
Each day is critical for the future of America.
9.Alzheimer’s increase- 5 million currently, every 67 seconds someone dies of Alzheimer’s
Studies show glyphosate is a chelator, which deprives any living thing it comes in contact with, of its vital nutrients, vitamins and mineral. Vitamin deficiency is a consistent occurrence in all patients with cancer:
10.Cancer is the number one killer of children in America today.- The President's Council on Cancer = 8750.
More children die every year of cancer than died in 9/11.
11. One out of two males (69.5 million) and one out of three females (47.8 million) are expected to get cancer in America today. -Robyn O’Brien. =117.8 million adults with cancer
12. One out of two of our children have some form of chronic Illness in America today. – Beth Lambert “The Compromised Generation” =37 million children
= Nearly 200 million of chronically sick children and adults with cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer’s alone.
We assert that the cost of the use of glyphosate does not outweigh the benefit.
The last week or two were weeks of what looked like insurmountably bad news. Daunting. Unbelievable and disheartening.
1) The EPA RAISED the glyphosate levels to unbelievable amounts. We know now that breast cancer cells proliferated upon the introduction of only parts per TRILLION of glyphosate ( see our blog "Proof of GMO Harm"). We know that the chemicals in Agent Orange caused hundreds of thousands of birth defects and deaths. And yet the EPA has granted Monsanto's and Syngenta's requests to raised the levels of these and other chemicals by double, triple, quadruple and higher amounts in the part per million. For example: 2-4 D and other chemicals have been increased in the feed crops that the animals we eat , eat: barley hay from 1.4 to 30 ppm and aspirated grains from 30 to 108 ppm.
Glyphosate levels were increasd in Sunflower seeds to 85 ppm, Tea 5 ppm, Beans 5 ppm, Quinoa 5 ppm, Bananas .2 ppm, Sugar Beets 25 ppm, Dry Peas 8ppm, Pork 5 ppm etc.
Image from Occupy EPA
2) Moms Across America Zen Honeycutt was able to interview Anthony Samsel and found out that 160 of our foods are contaminated with glyphosate. See the full list here.
3) Birth defects in babies are a reported 4-8 X higher down stream from three orchard areas in Washington State that use heavy glyphosate sprays. See article here.
4) TPP: Many of us found out that an international trade agreement called TPP ( Trans Pacific Partnership) that could threaten everything we are working for by fast tracking ( and keeping secret) trade agreements between nations that could eliminate GMO labeling, allow corporation to sue countries for blocking sales of GMOs and force more sales of GMOs. Go to www.flushtheTPP.org to find out more and support the cause by hosting a Meet the Congress! event on MAA website.
We believe that some of the worst news a mother could hear is that the food we eat is causing harm to our family and the toxins in our environment that have been deemed safe by our own EPA are causing birth defects. On top of it our own government appointed officials may take away our rights to be able to choose our food and protect our families from these toxins. This is unacceptable.
But there MUST be Good news right?
Of course there is! Moms and our fantastic supporters are an undauntable bunch!
1) The biggest good news is that we are now creating PARTNERSHIPS between organizations that will expand and support all of our intentions nationally and around the globe. Moms Across Africa, Moms Across Canada and Moms Across Ireland have Facebook pages and we are working on developing an international coalition! We are connecting with several other orgs and will announce partnerships soon!
2) Moms Across America's Kathleen Hallal spoke at the Justice Begins with Seeds Conference in Washington State last weekend and I spoke in my CT home town in front of 62 people, 20 teens from FRESH, a gardening program, who are out to transform the food industry! We are continuing the global movement for Moms, who buy 85% of the food, and supporters to be the ones to make a change in our health and freedom.
3) 14 year old Rachel Parent from Canada went on national TV and stood her ground debating Kevin O'Leary. Click here for the link. Inspiring! If she can speak up, we all can too!!
4) Kauai Hawaii and NY made giant steps forward in labeling GMOs and eliminating toxins from our environment and bodies.
5) Moms Across America is just getting started! Our next endeavors are:
GMO Free Shopping Day! Sept 7, 2013 GMO Free Moms and YOU Moms Across America supporters are the perfect candidates to host a GMO Free Shopping coaching session at your local grocery store! More info on www.gmofreemoms.org. Please post any and all of your events on www.momsacrossamerica.com so your local supporters can find you!
World Food Day octubre 16, 2013 Moms Across America GMO FREE SCHOOLS Educational Outreach. Gather a group of Moms to hand out flyers at drop off or pick up and educate your entire school about how they can make GMO free lunches! Flyers coming soon. Post your event soon!
RECALL ROUND UP: Date: ASAP- Glyphosate information door hangers to distribute in neighborhoods.
GMO Free DINING : Date: ASAP- Flyers to give to restaurants to encourage them to go GMO Free. Chef Patrick Stark supporting us with great tips!
We are disturbed by the bad news...but the good news is you.
Moms Across America is an international coalition of unstoppable moms and we have tremendous reach and power because we buy 85% of the food. It's up to us Mommas and our tremendous supporters.
The Good news are our Dads. The good news is our Teens. The good news is our kids, doctors, nurses and politicians who supports this effort. The good news is that we are not alone and we are growing!
We are continually and deeply inspired by the people like you who know this situation is daunting and huge and yet KEEP GOING ANYWAY.
Thank you for being unstoppable!
Kathleen Hallal and the MAAM Team
P.S. We need your help. We need professionals..a non profit developer, social media gurus, graphic designers, writers, researchers and media support. Please also donate and encourage your favorite organizations to donate and support the Moms who buy 85% of the food to go GMO free and Organic and eliminate toxins from our food supply. Every dollar helps!